SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few handguns - most in 9mm. I have always wanted a 1911 but was not excited about building a new stockpile of .45 ACP ammo. These days that could easily double the cost of the gun itself - if you can even find ammo. Do you 1911 folks think its essential to have your first (and perhaps only) in .45 or is the 9mm version just as much fun? Is .45 ACP even available? I haven't seen much here in NC. I'm interested in your advice.

For those who say just get both, I probably will eventually. But which one first? Thanks!

馃帠USN Retired
It鈥檚 personal preference. I grew up shooting the 1911 so I had to have at least one. However, for competition purposes, I had to buy 9mm gun since I don鈥檛 want to get stuck shooting single stack or Lim10. For now though, I鈥檇 recommend getting a double stack 1911 in 9mm. There are plenty of choices out there. It lol depends on how much you鈥檙e willing to spend.

I鈥檓 having more fun shooting my 9mm guns with red dots now since my vision have deteriorated significantly. My 1911 in .45acp doesn鈥檛 have a red dot but I still shoot it once in a while.

I reload both calibers and have plenty of powder, primers, bullets and cases so I don鈥檛 have any problems having them.

Registered
My only 1911 is in 9mm. Sig 1911 Tacops. It was discontinued a few years back. I got it because I love 1911 style pistols and 9mm was always available and very affordable. It鈥檚 a very soft shooter and is incredibly accurate. It鈥檚 a joy to shoot. It鈥檚 just a range gun for me.I love it. I don鈥檛 think your first 1911 has to be in 45. Based on different factors such as ammo cost and availability make a decision based on that or whatever you want.

Registered
If you're going to have only one 1911 IMO it should be a 45ACP. Why? Because it ain't natural to do otherwise. OTOH, a shooting a well tuned 9mm 1911 is a beautiful thing. Frankly, it's more fun than a 45ACP 1911 but I still think if you can only have one it oughta be a 45ACP. I have a couple of Dan Wesson 9mm 1911's. Both are amazingly accurate and a joy to shoot. Highly recommend a 9mm 1911 (after you already have a 45ACP 1911).

Registered
45ACP. Be very careful. 1911s have been know to be extremely addicting, with no known cure.

Registered
It is all up to you. You have to see how much you want to spend. Try and get to shoot one in 45acp and 9mm. Their are Steel and alloy frames so you may not like a lite frame with
45acp. Then their is 5", 4" 3" ones for what ever you are going to use it for. For me I like them all in 45acp 40s&w, 9mm :) .

Premium Member
I've been shooting 1911s since '78 ..when I got my first Commander. Over the years I've probably had a dozen .45s ... loved them all. But thinking like the OP, the price of the ammo and some arthritis in my wrist lead me to try a 9mm 1911. I looked around at a couple of LGS at the, then plentiful ,selection of 1911s and found my two favorites. I couldn't make up my mind for awhile ... ended getting the Colt Competition first ... then got Kimber Target II about five months later from the same shop. The guy gave me a really good price as return customer ...and one who bought nice guns ($$$$$).

They both are really fun to shoot and both really accurate. And you can't deny they're cheaper to shoot and a little easier on old hands. And now being retired I have more time to shoot, so having something else to shoot that's cheaper is a real plus for me.... 馃

I say get you 9mm ... Y not?

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Registered
Start with what you think you will prefer. Sounds like you have plenty of 9 available. Shooting 9 out of a 1911 is akin to shooting 22 (yes exaggerating but darned close. LOL)

I say "start" because as the others have pointed out - you WILL end up with the other calibers sooner or later. 1911's can "suck" - they always need the company of siblings and cousins and they have a huge family.
:oops::ROFLMAO:

Registered
I also love the 1911 platform/ I have a 9mm that I shoot in IDPA (less recoil) and a governemt, commander and compact all in 45 acp. The compact is in my cold weather rotation in a shoulder holster. I guess it is a matter of preference. Get one of each!!!!

Registered
I have a number of 1911s, both 45ACP and 9MM. I couldn't really say which I like better. Both calibers are fun and serve equally well for self-defense.
If you already have a stock of 9MM ammo, and don't yet shoot 45ACP, I'd suggest you go with a 9MM 1911. If you really like the 1911 you can always add a 45ACP.
With the current drought in ammo and reloading components, now is not a good time to add a caliber to your ammo requirements.

Registered
Recently got back into the 1911 platform and went the 9mm route. I learned my way around automatics with a 1911 chambered in .45 and carried one for a short while as my duty weapon. The .45ACP has my respect but I'm not as young as I used to be and my wrists are showing the age.

I can control the 9mm better, which translates to better accuracy and confidence. I thought about getting a 45, but opted for the 9mm for one reason. I have a healthy supply of 9mm ammo and really didn't need to build up a stockpile of .45 ammo. I do have a small supply because I still own a Sig P220, but would need to bump that up with the range time I want to spend with this gun.

I don't think you can go wrong with either option. The 9mm 1911 is really enjoyable to shoot but the 45 is also a joy to shoot. My vote is to go with the 9mm, get hooked and when ammo prices drop pick up a .45. Heck, the more I think about it, I'll probably do the same.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts