SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This subject has probably been discussed before but the search feature REALLY didn't like how I was searching for it apparently. Anyway, I just ordered my first suppressor and all of my other AR's and pistols are 1/2 X 28 (give or take) so it would be cool if there was someone out there who made an adapter for Sig's stupid LH threads. Anyone know of such a animal and where I could get it? I got excited when I saw this photo on the Sig store but I think it's just a cap. I'm not sure why the adapter looking thing is even in the picture.:huh:

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
18,559 Posts
This is a bit pricey, but I wouldn't settle for anything cheaper. My preference would be an adaptor by Bowers Group but I don't see one in their catalog. This device needs to be precisely machined, concentricity issues, you will damage your can, at best. There are several out there for $20 or less, I would avoid them.

http://www.infiniteproductsolutions.com/adapters/135LH-1228-BS-K/

Which Suppressor?
What I've looked at have interchangeable pistons, even to the point of a "kit" of several so as to match whatever host presents itself.
I have 3 cans, all have fixed thread. My 30 cal can does have a QD system, I can buy, and have, flash hiders of various thread pitches.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,263 Posts
One reason there are so many sizes, is so you would have difficulty mounting a .22 bore suppressor, on a 9mm bore barrel, or a 9mm bore suppressor on a .45 bore barrel.
No harm no foul if you install too large a diameter bored suppressor on a smaller bored barrel... it wouldn't be very effective. But the other way around, and you have a disaster!

I believe the manufacturers of suppressors would be wise to form an organization, just as SAAMI was formed to standardize firearms chamber dimensions and ammunition dimensions, to prevent conflicts.

Until then it will probably remain a problem for the end user...

Reactions: MrMcGoo

·
Registered
607 Posts
My Silencerco Osprey uses pistons that you change for the various threads. I bought the .45 caliber suppressor and can use it on smaller calibers with the correct threaded piston. So far I have really needed only the LH metric for my 9mm firearms and the RH for the .45. I think RH usually goes with non-metric calibers like .40 and .45, and the LH go with the metric calibers like 9mm.

I assume you have checked that the suppressors you have are good for rifle and/or handgun. My Osprey 45 is fine for pistol and subsonic .300 blackout but cannot be used for other rifle calibers.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
If you're averse to changing the piston when jumping from platform to platform (which my anal - retentive side understands perfectly), I guess aftermarket barrels for your pistols would be your best bet...

·
Registered
607 Posts
My AAC EVO-9 has a 1/2X28 RH pitch.

Precisely how I use my EVO-9.
The EVO-9 uses the same type of piston system as the Osprey by Silencerco and can be ordered in 5 or 6 different threads, depending on which you need for your particular firearm. It all depends on what threads the firearm manufacturer decide to use. You can swap out the piston for whatever you need.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This is a bit pricey, but I wouldn't settle for anything cheaper. My preference would be an adaptor by Bowers Group but I don't see one in their catalog. This device needs to be precisely machined, concentricity issues, you will damage your can, at best. There are several out there for $20 or less, I would avoid them.

https://www.infiniteproductsolutions.com/__socialshop/adapters/135LH-1228-BS-K/

I guess I'll be looking into this option or a precision one-off part from a machine shop. In another life I was a machinist so I have connections but I just figured there would be a company out there that would make these more available.

As far as aftermarket barrels, I guess I could go that way but I've got a tighty little sum tied up in new Sig barrels for my P226/P229. Thanks for all the comments keep them coming

EDIT: Thanks MC!! The link you posted didn't work for some reason but I did search their sight and found this and that's exactly what I was talking about

·
Premium Member
18,559 Posts
The EVO-9 uses the same type of piston system as the Osprey by Silencerco and can be ordered in 5 or 6 different threads, depending on which you need for your particular firearm. It all depends on what threads the firearm manufacturer decide to use. You can swap out the piston for whatever you need.
Sorry, no. I have the original EVO-9, it is not modular at all, I can not disassemble the unit. It is pictured on my 300 blk pistol in a prior post in this thread.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Superwoody I really think you need to look at a different piston for your silencer with the LH threads rather than try to find or fabricate a coupler. I have a P227 with RH threads and an HK USP with LH threads. I've got two pistons for my AAC TiRant. The 60 second swap is not bad and I have peace of mind knowing all parts were designed to do this. I can't see how that thread pitch adapter would stay on tight enough to use with a silencer.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are going to make one yourself, please make certain you maintain tight concentricity between the ID pitch diameter (PD) and OD PD. Any other tolerances are subordinate to this concentricty.
No doubt, but for $40 there's no way I'm gonna attempt to have one made/make one. I just got notification it was about to ship already so again thanks for the heads up, this is exactly what I was wanting.

I have a Glock 27/26 with 1/2 x .28, a AR .22lr same, a 1911 colt .22lr etc. so you see why I wanted to go in that direction if I could

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Superwoody I really think you need to look at a different piston for your silencer with the LH threads rather than try to find or fabricate a coupler. I have a P227 with RH threads and an HK USP with LH threads. I've got two pistons for my AAC TiRant. The 60 second swap is not bad and I have peace of mind knowing all parts were designed to do this. I can't see how that thread pitch adapter would stay on tight enough to use with a silencer.
I don't see a problem, most if not all the suppressors I've seen are recommended for hand tightening anyway so if that's the case I wouldn't think there'd be much difference with one threaded joint vs two. The one thing I might do, and have thought about, is maybe put a little blue loctite between the adapter and barrel for piece of mind

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Me too! Switching pistons is easy. I wouldn't want that coupler hanging on the end of my barrel either...

Cheers

·
Premium Member
18,559 Posts
No doubt, but for $40 there's no way I'm gonna attempt to have one made/make one. I just got notification it was about to ship already so again thanks for the heads up, this is exactly what I was wanting.

I have a Glock 27/26 with 1/2 x .28, a AR .22lr same, a 1911 colt .22lr etc. so you see why I wanted to go in that direction if I could
Believe me, I understand! I have a CZ Scorpion EVO S1 Pistol, the thread on that barrel is M18X1. The Bowers Group adapter works perfect for this application, can use the AAC EVO-9 on this, what a great shooter suppressed!

·
Premium Member
18,559 Posts
Me too! Switching pistons is easy. I wouldn't want that coupler hanging on the end of my barrel either...

Cheers
If my suppressor was modular, I would probably be swapping out pistons, too. But, unfortunately, I don't have that option. I have a Bowers Group adapter on my CZ Scorpion, with the proper tools and technique, the suppressor and adapter stay plenty tight.

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
... The one thing I might do, and have thought about, is maybe put a little blue loctite between the adapter and barrel for piece of mind
FYI - These suppressors run VERY hot, and the service temperature ratings for Blue Loctate is -65f to 300f

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/T_LKR_BLUE_tds.pdf

Even Loctite's 'High Temp' product #272 is only rated to 450f. IMO, Loctite simply isn't a product for use on gun barrel parts. There are several FAR better options that're rated over 1,000f.

I use a copper fortified grease rated to 2,000f, that keeps my barrel bolts, cans, etc. on tight, they never seize and the threads are kept perfect. This product is designed for turbo chargers, exhaust manifold and turbine bolts. So yeah, it easily handles my barrel components!!

https://www.amazon.com/Versachem-13109-Anti-Seize-Thread-Lubricant/dp/B0002JN57E

Cheers

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI - These suppressors run VERY hot, and the service temperature ratings for Blue Loctate is -65f to 300f

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/T_LKR_BLUE_tds.pdf

Even Loctite's 'High Temp' product #272 is only rated to 450f. IMO, Loctite simply isn't a product for use on gun barrel parts. There are several FAR better options that're rated over 1,000f.

I use a copper fortified grease rated to 2,000f, that keeps my barrel bolts, cans, etc. on tight, they never seize and the threads are kept perfect. This product is designed for turbo chargers, exhaust manifold and turbine bolts. So yeah, it easily handles my barrel components!!

https://www.amazon.com/Versachem-13109-Anti-Seize-Thread-Lubricant/dp/B0002JN57E

Cheers
Good to know, I'm sure I would have figured this out (About the loctite) but the info on the grease is very helpful! Knowledge is power! :thumbsu:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.