SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a P239 9mm with more capacity. How difficult would it be for Sig to design a slightly staggered 12 round magazine and a frame to go with it? I would think the existing barrel and slide would work fine. You engineers out there – how much width would be added to the grip? It seems like it would be about 4.5 mm. Let’s call it the P239MC (more capacity).

Who else would be interested?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Sorry, but I agree they will not create this new 239 to do what they already have various models gap to fill. The P239 is a perfect fit where it is at, other models do other things better. Just my opinion, which rarely is fully accepted by many.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
they did & they call it the 229.
Actually, Bear, that is pretty close to the truth, but in reverse.

What I want to know is "Why do you think you are going to be needing 12 rounds in a Self Defense weapon?". If your life requires you to carry that much ammunition of a marginal caliber (Whole other story) then go with a M 11 or a 228. Or a Glock 17.

Size the ammunition load to the anticipated threat. If it is that big? Bring a Shotgun.

(I get grumpy occasionally)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
What SIG may eventually do is to extend the magazine to hold two more rounds on the 225 A-1. The P239 has a 10 round 9mm variant, if you can find one.

The P224 was a double stack that held 12 rounds of 9mm or 10 rounds of 40/357, but it is discontinued for a variety of reasons. The P229 Compact replaced it with a barrel the same length as the P224.

Bill

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,018 Posts
wsp222, as some of the others have already stated... basically what you describe is a P228, with a folded carbon steel slide... no capability for caliber swap to .357/.40...

The P239 was developed as a back-up weapon for Law Enforcement, in the same caliber as their duty sidearm, or for carry off duty... this makes it appealing for the general public as a primary carry weapon for self defense. Being available in 3 potent calibers is just "icing on the cake"!

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
wsp222, as some of the others have already stated... basically what you describe is a P228, with a folded carbon steel slide... no capability for caliber swap to .357/.40...

The P239 was developed as a back-up weapon for Law Enforcement, in the same caliber as their duty sidearm, or for carry off duty... this makes it appealing for the general public as a primary carry weapon for self defense. Being available in 3 potent calibers is just "icing on the cake"!
I would argue that it is 2 Potent calibers and a Good Training and range caliber. One that is 1/2 price.

For instance. .357 has same POI as 9MM at 25 yards. So the relationship is 9mm Practice, 357 for defense. (Like the old 38 and 357 debates.)

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,018 Posts
I would argue that it is 2 Potent calibers and a Good Training and range caliber. One that is 1/2 price.

For instance. .357 has same POI as 9MM at 25 yards. So the relationship is 9mm Practice, 357 for defense. (Like the old 38 and 357 debates.)
To quote from your "Lucky Gunner" charts... that Winchester Ranger T, 147 grain opens up to 3/4" in 16.5"... not just for practice anymore... Lol

Reactions: Roystu

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I don't think SIG's going to create a new gun very similar to two other guns (P239 & P225-A1). The P239 is proven. It's already "big enough" as far as carry guns go. If you want more rounds carry an extra mag--I carry two 9-round spares with my P239/9.
I carry a P225A1 with two 8rd reloads daily. I don't feel under gunned or lacking of ammunition.

Become one with the emergency or tactical reloads my son.......LOL

·
Registered
174 Posts
I also carry a p225a1 with 1 or 2 spare mags, depending on attire, and do not feel underarmed for self defense in the least. Just do the same with your p239, the mags are so slim they disappear in your pocket. That said if there were mag extensions available I would certainly buy some ��

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.