SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I decided to get siglites on my 226 navy and the customer service said that they would be a 12 o'clock. Position sight picture....is this the same sight picture everyone has when it comes to Sig....I guess what I'm saying is the the normal....

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Not sure what you asked customer service, What would the sight picture be for standard SigLites? OR Can I get SigLites to provide a 12 o'clock sight picture?

Never heard or used the term "12 o'clock" sight picture but I am familiar with a 6 o'clock.

All my Sigs using standard height SigLites installed by Sig or standard height aftermarket night sights installed by myself have yielded Image #3 as the correct sight picture. This is the sight picture I consider normal.

If one was to install different height sights you can obtain either of the other two sight pictures if desired. Image #1 is a typical 6 o'clock sight picture.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Hi everyone, I decided to get siglites on my 226 navy and the customer service said that they would be a 12 o'clock. Position sight picture....is this the same sight picture everyone has when it comes to Sig....I guess what I'm saying is the the normal....
If you have the correct sights for your P226, it shouldn't matter whether you have the stock sights or SigLites, the sight picture should be the same. Typically for me, my sight picture is like Reliable's Sight Image 2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From the Sig website FAQ

SIG SAUER

"All SIG SAUER production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a "combat" sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bulls eye of the target. Using a six o'clock ("pumpkin on a post") or center mass ("half'n'half") sight picture will result in low impact. SIG SAUER, Inc sights in all non-sporting and non-target pistols for 2.5 inch groupings @ 15 yards. If you are still having trouble please contact Customer Service for further help and instruction. Please have your serial number ready. There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis."

Based on that I'd say #3 is correct.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
SIG SAUER

"All SIG SAUER production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a "combat" sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bulls eye of the target. Using a six o'clock ("pumpkin on a post") or center mass ("half'n'half") sight picture will result in low impact. SIG SAUER, Inc sights in all non-sporting and non-target pistols for 2.5 inch groupings @ 15 yards. If you are still having trouble please contact Customer Service for further help and instruction. Please have your serial number ready. There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis."

Based on that I'd say #3 is correct.
And you'd be right.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis.
They don't mention SIG Talk by name, but I'd say it was implied.... :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
For bullseye shooting, I'm having a hard time getting to #3. It is the correct sight picture for the 226 and provides good results. My old brain clings to the #2 picture I've used for decades before becoming smitten with Sigs. Solution. I ordered and just received a #10 rear site from Sig parts I'll switch out. Hoping that will put the shot pattern on the X and allow #2 to work. - Best of all solutions would be finding an adjustable rear sight that will fit the 226. Any ideas where there might be one?

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
For bullseye shooting, I'm having a hard time getting to #3. It is the correct sight picture for the 226 and provides good results. My old brain clings to the #2 picture I've used for decades before becoming smitten with Sigs. Solution. I ordered and just received a #10 rear site from Sig parts I'll switch out. Hoping that will put the shot pattern on the X and allow #2 to work. - Best of all solutions would be finding an adjustable rear sight that will fit the 226. Any ideas where there might be one?
I hear ya pardner. Im the same way. I really like #2 as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wonder if the Meprolight adjustable sights will fit the SP2022.... or maybe the Siglite Adjustable Combat Night Sight found on the Elite models.

I think they may since the SP2022 (9mm) uses both #8 front/rears....

hmm

-S

·
Registered
61 Posts
P938 sight image

Would the #3 image be correct for the P938 then?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally use #3.
So I just went and did my first real on the line firing of my P226 Tac Ops. And I was consistently shooting low trying to use #2, and when I started using #3 I went from everything low, to my poor shooting.

I just started shooting pistol, but after firing 130 rounds, and switching to #3, rounds 131 to 140 yielded me a score of 89. 2 10's, 5 9's and 3 8's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This post has gotten my interest and also been a head scratcher for me. As a long time Police firearms instructor it has been my experience that virtually all service type handguns are factory regulated to hit point of aim at 25 yards (some few at 15 yds). With point of aim being the top of the front sight post as in figure #2. This is pretty much the universal technique taught for combat hand gunnery. Generally referred to as POA = POI.

Now I know that for a while some instructors at the Sig Academy have suggested a technique where the point of aim coincides with the dot on the front sight post, when using a three dot arrangement or night sights. I believe this was just offered as an alternative especially for fast very close range work. Its negatives are that at longer range you are covering a large portion of the target with your front sight and it will generally be less precise than the traditional rear and front sight level across the top technique. I doubt very much that any of Sig Sauer's guns are actually factory regulated to this sight picture (figure #3). My Sigs have all been regulated POA = POI at 25 yds. (figure#2).

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
. . . My Sigs have all been regulated POA = POI at 25 yds. (figure#2).
In addition to the sights themselves, the trajectory of the round and the distance to the target seem to affect the pistols I shoot. Some calibers shoot more flat (Sig uses different front sights on the 9 or 357 SIG than its .40SW pistols), but even with the same pistol and same caliber the powder charge affects where the lead ends up. I do quite of bit of range shooting at 10 yards (the minimum is 28 feet, for safety reasons) and have found two of my pistols impact relatively close with sight image 2, and the other three are closest to the bullseye at sight image 3. I have a friend who has a few target pistols set up for a six o-clock hold and those are easier to aim with the white background.

I paid a gunsmith to bench shoot one of my pistols at 20 yards using three different types of 9mm ammo. The Winchester NATO 124 gr and the Winchester 147 gr "T" were within one inch, but both were four inches above the bullseye. He shot a Sellier & Bellot 115 gr that was two inches lower, but still two inches above the bullseye. At ten yards, that pistol is pretty close with sight image 2 and the NATO 124 gr. I have shot it with my arms resting on a table to confirm the sights were different than the Sig's.

When you say, It will generally be less precise than the traditional rear and front sight level across the top technique, would you call this a 12 o'clock hold? As in level across the top of the bullseye? Or do you mean with the top of the sights level and bisecting the bullseye.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Not sure what you asked customer service, What would the sight picture be for standard SigLites? OR Can I get SigLites to provide a 12 o'clock sight picture?

Never heard or used the term "12 o'clock" sight picture but I am familiar with a 6 o'clock.

All my Sigs using standard height SigLites installed by Sig or standard height aftermarket night sights installed by myself have yielded Image #3 as the correct sight picture. This is the sight picture I consider normal.

If one was to install different height sights you can obtain either of the other two sight pictures if desired. Image #1 is a typical 6 o'clock sight picture.
SIG uses the #3 sight picture also know as "Drive the sight". I am not particularly fond of this picture. The military use to teach sight pic #1 and it is the one I prefer.We were told never to lose sight of the target. I also never heard of 12 o clock term.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts