SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any plans to bring the P220 10mm Legion DA/SA or other 5 inch barreled 10mm DA/SA variant to Massachusetts?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don’t know about bringing it to Mass but I hope for your sake that they do the P220 10mm is one of my all time favorites

·
Registered
21,598 Posts
Does anyone make a MA-compliant 10mm? I have no idea, just curious.
Welcome to SIGTalk! :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
OP,
To be Mass compliant 2 fired cases are required-
1. case is sent to the FBI to fingerprint the breech face.
2. case accompanies the pistol.

Your 2nd best option for a 10mm Auto is manufactured in MA.
S&W 1006 or 1076 for full size 5" pistols.

A fact-
Freedom Arms will NOT deface one of their pistols to fingerprint any fired cases.
And the exterior box is stamped NOT FOR SALE in MASSACHUSETTS.

(I do not blame them as I LOVE my Freedom Arms Revolvers)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dans is always on point with the 10mm knowledge !

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Dans is always on point with the 10mm knowledge !
Holds true for any firearm/platform for sale in MA.
Other restrictions apply depending on state requirements -LCI,Mag safety,list of approved etc.

OP,
I do not believe that SIG USA will deface the slide breech face of P220 R5 10mm & add LCI's,mag safeties for other state compliance.

'tis the reason that I mentioned the 3rd Gen Smith & Wesson 1006/1076 10mm pistols,since they have the MA compliant features...being manufactured in MA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. I've got a Glock in 10mm and an S&W 1076 that I purchased when they first came out. I had a Bren at one point and unfortunately sold it when I thought it was going to get resurrected during the Peregrine Falcon dead end effort. I loved the DA/SA platform and five inch barrel and was very excited when I started seeing the first two-tone P220, 5" 10mm from sig and then the Legion, but nothing available in Mass. Unfortunately, most of the 10mms available in Mass are either 1911 platforms, revolvers, or used pieces mentioned in these posts. For new guns there is only the Springfield Armory 1911 format, Ruger's SR1911, GP100, and Super Redhawk, S&W's 610-3, and a handful of 1911 designed platforms on the target shooting roster for Mass.
Unfortunately none of these are DA/SA. Seems like a niche market, but one with very little comparative competition if you want to stick with the traditional SA/DA platform of the Sig.

·
Registered
43 Posts
OP, are you familiar with the notion of a "frame transfer" and how MA consumers can use it to obtain non-roster handguns? MA defines a firearm differently than the feds do: if it's not "capable of discharging a projectile", it's not a firearm any more as the Commonwealth defines it. If a gun is disassembled into multiple pieces — this can be as simple as field-stripping it — then no part of it is a "firearm" according to MA and the roster doesn't apply. You still of course need to do a 4473 for any serialized parts, but a MA dealer can transfer a stripped, non-roster pistol to you. The dealer will do this without filing an FA-10. When you take it home and put it back together, you've just "manufactured" a firearm and it'll then be your responsibility to file an FA-10 using the "Registration" workflow. Not all dealers are willing to do this, but if you ask around at a few LGSs you'll probably find one who will.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Are there any plans to bring the P220 10mm Legion DA/SA or other 5 inch barreled 10mm DA/SA variant to Massachusetts?
Perhaps you should ask Sig if they are doing it. I am sure you will get the typical pre-prepared, canned response.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perhaps you should ask Sig if they are doing it. I am sure you will get the typical pre-prepared, canned response.
I did try that and even tried to buy parts directly to convert a stainless P220 in 45 ACP, but couldn't get the parts. I reached out to a custom shop that is known for doing the conversions on P220 to 10mm, but couldn't get a response from them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP, are you familiar with the notion of a "frame transfer" and how MA consumers can use it to obtain non-roster handguns? MA defines a firearm differently than the feds do: if it's not "capable of discharging a projectile", it's not a firearm any more as the Commonwealth defines it. If a gun is disassembled into multiple pieces — this can be as simple as field-stripping it — then no part of it is a "firearm" according to MA and the roster doesn't apply. You still of course need to do a 4473 for any serialized parts, but a MA dealer can transfer a stripped, non-roster pistol to you. The dealer will do this without filing an FA-10. When you take it home and put it back together, you've just "manufactured" a firearm and it'll then be your responsibility to file an FA-10 using the "Registration" workflow. Not all dealers are willing to do this, but if you ask around at a few LGSs you'll probably find one who will.
I have heard of it, but don't know of anyone in MASS that does it. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holds true for any firearm/platform for sale in MA.
Other restrictions apply depending on state requirements -LCI,Mag safety,list of approved etc.

OP,
I do not believe that SIG USA will deface the slide breech face of P220 R5 10mm & add LCI's,mag safeties for other state compliance.

'tis the reason that I mentioned the 3rd Gen Smith & Wesson 1006/1076 10mm pistols,since they have the MA compliant features...being manufactured in MA.
Thanks. I'm not sure why the P220 10mm doesn't seem to be available here from a reasoning perspective. I see the P220 in 45 ACP very often in shops and in the Legion configuration and other versions, which I would imagine because it has a long-standing reputation and history. I'm not sure if for the 10mm if this is a cost issue because of the testing labs and the AG roster as they probably figure they won't sell as many P220 10mm as they will P226, P320, and P365s. But then again I've seen several P225 for sale, which I can't believe has high sales in Mass, but is a great sidearm. I do have the 1076 which I like, but really would like to see a 5 inch DA/SA 10mm available here. The ones I have been able to handle in shops out of Mass seem like solid pistols like the P220 stainless I have. I really like the 10mm and think the 5 inch barrel and DA/SA platform is something that gets overlooked now a days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I guess my curiosity on this topic leads to the question - If a version of the P220 10mm was available in Massachusetts, in it's 5 inch DA/SA configuration like the legion or two tone version, would you consider buying it?
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts