SIG Talk banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just don’t see a 10mm P320 happening for several reasons. One being the low popularity of the round. It looks like Sig may be cutting out the 40 and 357 offerings, no way would they discontinue those which are both more common and used than the 10mm and introduce a 10mm version.

With the design of the P320 I just don’t see it holding up to 10mm unless you shot only the watered down loads. Unless they specifically designed a FCU for the 10 then the gun would just beat itself apart.

I think there’s better guns suited to the 10 than a P320. A P220 or 1911 really are great for it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm guessing a 10mm p320 would be based on the .45acp FCU and grips?
... or would they have to add a third variant?
Yes that is exactly how I built mine. 45 FCU, 45 grip modules, modified 45 magazine (bent lips and sanded follower width). I used a 40 slide and a 40 barrel reamed to 10mm and have a few different spring weights from 18lbs to 24lbs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just don’t see a 10mm P320 happening for several reasons. One being the low popularity of the round. It looks like Sig may be cutting out the 40 and 357 offerings, no way would they discontinue those which are both more common and used than the 10mm and introduce a 10mm version.

With the design of the P320 I just don’t see it holding up to 10mm unless you shot only the watered down loads. Unless they specifically designed a FCU for the 10 then the gun would just beat itself apart.

I think there’s better guns suited to the 10 than a P320. A P220 or 1911 really are great for it.
I hear this point of view every time a 10mm model of something is brought up. I don’t buy it. (PS I have 6 10mm pistols)
Sig’s move to 9mm is because they have been listening to the military a lot. Sportsman Shooter’s have been buying many more 10mm firearms. Many polymer ones also.
I do think the 220 is a good 10mm pistol, I have two.
Glock, Springfield, tanfoglio, all have polymer 10mm firearms. So Glock’s frame is stronger that Sig’s. I find that hard to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
819 Posts

I think a P320 will handle it just fine.
The glock 20 and 29 do fine as well as plnety of people who have converted HK USP's to 10mm and comparing my USP side by side to my 45 P320 the 320 is stronger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wonder how many sales of other guns the 10mm drove after shooters tried it. That was my experience.

In the late 80s, early 90s, I did a lot of research (or I thought I was doing a lot of research). The 10mm was the next big thing. The 9 was the reason those FBI agents died in Miami, the .45 was a relic of the Philippine Insurrection, blah blah. Lots of us were convinced that the 10mm was this sort of no-compromises works-in-every-scenario end-all be-all. On paper.

Then I shot one. The only guns chambered for it were either converted 1911s or the Bren Ten (I think those came with a white suite, pink shirt, and loafers, though). The local store/range had a Glock 20 I could try. It was a hand cannon. They also had a Desert Eagle .50AE for fun. The Deagle was tamer. I wasted a lot of time reading Guns & Ammo articles and studying the tables in the back of Shooter's Bible. None mentioned the need to have the forearms of a professional bull rider.

The store owner suggested that I try the Glock 21. Same beefy frame, slide and spring they built for the 10mm in a .45 barrel. That was it. The heavens parted. God's chosen caliber had been tamed. The 10mm had made me a lifelong .45 customer.

The FBI later neutered the 10mm and then everybody gave up and shrunk it to the .40 S&W. Having not paid any attention to it in 25+ years, I wonder why people are coming back to it. All the guns still look like converted 1911s or the G21. I'm certainly not going to arm wrestle with 10mm proponents, though. Maybe they're on to something. I'll bet it would make a kick-*** pistol-caliber carbine.

I'm assuming they improved the variety of bullets & loads to the point where you can get something for everyone. So if I go rent one to see what's changed, which load should I try?

JPS

·
Registered
819 Posts
I wonder how many sales of other guns the 10mm drove after shooters tried it. That was my experience.

In the late 80s, early 90s, I did a lot of research (or I thought I was doing a lot of research). The 10mm was the next big thing. The 9 was the reason those FBI agents died in Miami, the .45 was a relic of the Philippine Insurrection, blah blah. Lots of us were convinced that the 10mm was this sort of no-compromises works-in-every-scenario end-all be-all. On paper.

Then I shot one. The only guns chambered for it were either converted 1911s or the Bren Ten (I think those came with a white suite, pink shirt, and loafers, though). The local store/range had a Glock 20 I could try. It was a hand cannon. They also had a Desert Eagle .50AE for fun. The Deagle was tamer. I wasted a lot of time reading Guns & Ammo articles and studying the tables in the back of Shooter's Bible. None mentioned the need to have the forearms of a professional bull rider.

The store owner suggested that I try the Glock 21. Same beefy frame, slide and spring they built for the 10mm in a .45 barrel. That was it. The heavens parted. God's chosen caliber had been tamed. The 10mm had made me a lifelong .45 customer.

The FBI later neutered the 10mm and then everybody gave up and shrunk it to the .40 S&W. Having not paid any attention to it in 25+ years, I wonder why people are coming back to it. All the guns still look like converted 1911s or the G21. I'm certainly not going to arm wrestle with 10mm proponents, though. Maybe they're on to something. I'll bet it would make a kick-*** pistol-caliber carbine.

I'm assuming they improved the variety of bullets & loads to the point where you can get something for everyone. So if I go rent one to see what's changed, which load should I try?

JPS
I love me some .45 acp too however the 10mm is pretty impressive.
You can load 100gr bullets over 2000 FPS or 220gr 800-1000 just like a 45 You can load it hot (similar to 357 magnum) or mild like 9mm

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts

JPS
I think the guns that are chambered in 10mm have improved a fair bit as well - we are long past the days of the Bren Ten and 1911s being the only (or best) option. If you can, get your hands on one of the P220s chambered in 10, and be prepared for the heavens to part all over again. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
The first 10mm I shot was either a CZ or Tangifolio - I forget the exact details, but I remember that it was decidedly unpleasant to shoot, and I could not be accurate with it. A decade or two later I had the mini-Glock in 10. It's wasn't that bad, but I had no desire to have a compact 10, so it went away.

I've been idly tempted by the longslide Glock (40?) in 10, but not enough to actually buy one. There's a 10mm 220 in a local shop, but I can't bring myself to pay that much money for a novelty right now.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts