SIG Talk banner

1/2" difference in barrel length significant while Conceal/carry?

• 229 Legion?

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • 226 Legion?

Votes: 8 27.6%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get a 229 or 226 Legion in 40 cal. I hear a lot of people say that the 229 is sooooo much better for conceal carry. IMO, I'm not so sure that 1/2" is that significant. I want to know what your thoughts and opinions are? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I would have answered "Other" if it were an option because the truth is it depends.

I carry a P229 AIWB, but I think I might be able to pull off a P229 but I'm not sure (I don't have one). You reach a point, however, where too long a barrel digs into the crotch area when sitting. Conversely, however, too short of a barrel can cause stability problems necessitating a wedge of some kind to stabilize the pistol for a lot of people as body type can make a big difference.

When in doubt, however, the P229 is the quintessential carry choice for the compact classic P series (at least compared to a P226). I also like it because you can get a p229 barrel for it, and companies like Underwood usually load their self defense ammo using a 4" barrel as a blueprint in terms of managing velocity and penetration. It's not really a concern in my opinion, but if we're just being thorough with the options. The P229 was literally made for .40S&W (and is perfect for .357 SIG). It's more important for 9mm to squeeze out velocity as heavier bullets use mass more to their advantage which is why if you look at a diagram heavier bullets are usually (but not always) flatter for heavier bullets when comparing caliber performance to barrel length. Again, I don't think it's a big deal, but if we're teasing out differences, I think the P229 wins again when we're talking about concealed carry.

If you ever get it milled for a red dot, you won't even miss the sight radius either.

That said, I think there is often better aftermarket support for the P226, so there is that as well (e.g. grips). Having a Legion, however, I don't think that will be a concern and the P229 does fine with Hogue's offerings. The only mods you'll probably consider are with the trigger and the addition of a red dot like I mentioned.

Here's my P229 next to my Beretta PX4 Storm Compact Inox. For my the 4.25" barrel of my M&P is just a little too uncomfortable to carry this way, but that's with my body (I'm 5' 11").

The wedge is much more important for the Beretta which has a slide more similar to that of my Glock 26's than my Glock 19's, but I use wedges on all my guns anyway to point it away from myself.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
It's not the barrel that I find makes the difference, it's the length of the grip.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
That's true can be true, but they're almost identical (5.5" vs. 5.4"). I carry my P229 AIWB with a +2 baseplate (which makes it way taller than a P226). I also carry a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact with a 19+1 round magazine that I can often get away with, and that's over 6". It really depends on clothing, body type, and method of carry, but the .1" is usually not going to make a difference AIWB or IWB generally, but when it does make a difference, it will affect the latter more in my experience.

Reactions: Patsfan1967

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Not really much difference. The p228 is such a great gun from my experience, and is 100% with every 226 mag I have tried, which is why I carry it over the p226 most of the time. IWB, that slightly shorter slide is a little more comfortable. OWB, p226 would be my choice.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's true can be true, but they're almost identical (5.5" vs. 5.4"). I carry my P229 AIWB with a +2 baseplate (which makes it way taller than a P226). I also carry a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact with a 19+1 round magazine that I can often get away with, and that's over 6". It really depends on clothing, body type, and method of carry, but the .1" is usually not going to make a difference AIWB or IWB generally, but when it does make a difference, it will affect the latter more in my experience.
I personally didn't find either to be particularly easier to carry, so you're probably right. I found both the p226 and 229 to be somewhat bulky firearms to CC, but actually uncomfortable to CC.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I find like others I can carry a longer barrel gun but it is more uncomfortable when I sit to carry a shorter length weapon. I always choose a holster that allows me to easily adjust it a bit when sitting without much fuss. Most days I carry a G19/XCompact/p2000 without much issue. Some days I slip on a G26 or HK sk of some sort if it’s gonna be a long day with lots of driving and sitting. But with that said I’ll also carry a HK P30L if I’ve got on the right clothing and I know my day can handle it. These days... I’d choose which one you can and WILL carry the most. Fully loaded +1 and a spare mag. Either of your choices will do fine.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Neither pistol is especially easy to carry concealed unless you dress around the gun and few people are inclined to go through the trouble.

If you want to give it a serious try, IMO a horsehide Crossbreed Super Tuck will be your best bet for IWB.

For outside the waistband you’ll need a well designed pancake style speed scabbard holster.

I carry my P220 Carry year round under a tee shirt or unbuttoned button down and shorts IWB in a horsehide Super Tuck, and OWB with a Ritchie Gun Leather Speed Scabbard also under a tee shirt or unbuttoned button down.

But a large frame SIG is a lot of gun to carry and although virtually everyone will be oblivious, an observant person who’s familiar with concealed carry may notice your gun for what it is.

If your needs are for totally undetectable deep concealment, unless you wear a cover garment, you’ll need to find another gun.

Welcome from Florida.

Reactions: ronin11

·
Registered
422 Posts
For a hot five minutes I tried the Glocks. Just had to see what all the way excitment was.

Forgetting brand likes or dislikes and just talking size.

First I got the 17. I thought the same thing. How much more difficult can it be to carry over the 19? It was much easier to shoot the 17 well and just felt better in my hands.

In practice it felt like I was trying to carry an artillery piece. Can't explain it but it felt huge. The grip got caught on everything. The barrell length wasnt the issue. it was that little bit more grip. I sold it off and got a 19 and it seemed night and day different! The measurements may not bare it out but in practice it felt completely different.

Ultimately I got rid of the 19 but I really learned about the outer limits in size for something I want to carry regular.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've packed the p229 in a Galco SOB holster since the early 90's...& still do everyday.
On occasion I'll pack a P226 or a P220 in the same holster.

No restrictions here to carry open,concealed as have been noted elsewhere in the semi communist states of the lower 48.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
I go with The depends choice. As others have stated , lots of personal factors. IWB or OWB carry. Barrel length for sitting, squatting, bending over. Grip length. Yes the smallest difference in grip length can make a big difference for some individuals. All trial and error to find what works for you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would go with the 229. No real benefits with the larger gun for CC. I have both and don’t carry the 226.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
I personally didn't find either to be particularly easier to carry, so you're probably right. I found both the p226 and 229 to be somewhat bulky firearms to CC, but actually uncomfortable to CC.

Agree. That P229 is a chunky mutha. I ultimately went with a G19 and never looked back. Way easier to carry even though they are about the same size. The G19 is just slimmer. And the P226, forget about it. I’d much rather carry my P220. Again for me, it’s all about the thickness of the grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
129 Posts
Its really going to depend on you and how you carry. I own both a 226 and 229. I can cc both. The 229 is slightly easier to carry for me. In my case, my 229 is a legion, and sometimes the beavertail digs into me in certain conditions.

If width is an issue a 226 might cc slightly easier. With mec gar mags you also get 3 additional rounds.

Since I have a p365, that is just so much easier to cc. Only 3 less rds then the 229 and much smaller and lighter. I can shoot better with a full size gun though.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I vote for the 229. I carry mine (357 Sig) owb under an oversized t shirt and it is very comfortable. My 226 (40S&W) is my nightstand gun with a laser and light under barrel. Both are more than accurate at "social distances" and way beyond. I have both barrels for each but like the way I have them set up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Two factors here:

One is, which fits your body and preferred carry style better?

Second, which balances better in your hand, and is more accurate for you?

I have a P229 non-railed, and a P226 railed. The 229 balances better for me, is a more instinctive point-shooter, and the lack of rail means it draws smoother, so it's the EDC win.

There have been a glut of PoPo tradein 226's and 229s, mostly in .40 lately. The only real diffs between those and the Legion models are the finish color, the undercut in the grip, and the beavertail. ALL of these details, and the controls, are addressable via spare parts and a link I'll post below, with the exception of the undercut.

References: https://www.realgunreviews.com/upgrade-a-west-german-sig-sauer-p226-to-legion-specs/ READ this if you want to really understand what's going on with your classic P-series, and watch the videos.

Second: https://www.shapeways.com/product/SUQWWH5NV/sig-sauer-p229-beavertail-add-on

I have the latter part on order, so no direct experience, but that closes the gap with the Legion almost 100%, except for the frame undercut.

Hope this helps.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts