SIG Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been discussed in several threads, in differing areas on this forum.

From "Pistols", to "Gunsmithing", and to "Gun Gear"...

While this could be expanded, to include 1911 models, and the newer 250/320 platform, and 365 models, I can't speak for them at this time.

For the Classic "P" Series, many of the original magazines were produced by J. P. Sauer & Sohn, and featured both "zipper" back construction, and "dovetail" back construction. For these OEM magazines, about the only repair parts available are magazine springs, which are available from Wolff gun springs, https://www.gunsprings.com/ , for the P226/P228/P229, there are also chrome silicon springs available from IMSI, http://www.ismi-gunsprings.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&Itemid=37 there is a remote possibility, that Numrich/Gunpartscorp could have a varied selection as they have bought a lot of over-stock/discontinued parts over the years. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/sig-sauer/auto-pistols-sig

Many of the "Classic" Sig magazines were manufactured by Mec-Gar, of Italy, which Sig branded magazines marked "Made in Italy" were more than likely produced by Mec-Gar. Due to agreements Sig has with their suppliers, evidently they cannot compete commercially with Sig, on "after-market" magazines. In many cases Mec-Gar, has made "modifications" and offered these magazines for sale commercially. For this reason, Mec-Gar offers replacement parts for their commercially available magazines. These parts are available, by contacting their Customer Service https://www.mec-gar.com/CONTACTS-US.

Another possibility, although unconfirmed, is that Sig has "other" suppliers for magazines too. One of these, at least for the P220, is Act-Mag, who is also located in Italy. A cursory examination of their offerings, notes that they don't offer a stainless bodied magazine, only blued, and nickel plated, which could be construed as side-stepping Sig's requirements, about not competing commercially with Sig. Comparing "components" there is a lot of "Deja Vu"... Once again contacting them a couple of years back, I was informed that parts would be available through their Customer Service... https://actmagusa.com/contact-us/

Many "Classic" Sig magazines will be marked as "Made in USA", or unmarked as country of origin. In this case these should be considered, as being manufactured by Check-Mate Industries, they currently don't offer anything commercial for Sig Sauer products. In many cases, they will accept Mec-Gar parts, but will require in most cases the matching insert for the floorplate used. In some cases that may also require a matching spring, as it has been noted with P229-1 9mm magazines, the Check-Mate spring has an additional coil. This may or may not be the primary cause for difficulty in loading 15 rounds into the US made magazines.

Many of the newer magazines, use a different follower style, which has allowed increased capacity, in the same "space"! This was initiated with the introduction of the .357 Sig/.40 S&W cartridges, and the desire for 12 round magazine capacity. The followers shown below, the early followers on the left were standard in 9mm magazines for the P226, and P228. The follower on the right, for .357 Sig/ .40 S&W allowed 12 rounds in the P226 magazine, but required a wider tapered P229 length magazine tube over the previous 9mm P228 tube, to fit 12 rounds.

Below: Followers/Mec-Gar & Act-Mag Comparison/P226-9/P226-.357&.40/P229-1 Check-Mate/ Mec-Gar P229-1 top Check-Mate bottom, Updated P220-1 magazine with an original, with a detent (circled in orange) added, to prevent top round movement limited until stripped from the magazine by the slide...

Attachments

·
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Early Magazines
The first Sig Sauer magazines seen here commercially are commonly called either "Zipper" backs, or "Dovetail" backs, by means of their construction, commonly by Sauer & Sohn, and will bear the Triskelion of their trademark.
Zipper back on left below, Dovetail back to the right, and their Triskelion logo...

Attachments

·
Registered
21,827 Posts
Modern SIG-branded P220 magazines have a detent at the top to hold the top that the ACT-MAG magazines do not have. However, I find the ACT-MAGs to be fully reliable. Would love to see them make a 10mm version.

Reactions: Willard

·
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Modern SIG-branded P220 magazines have a detent at the top to hold the top that the ACT-MAG magazines do not have. However, I find the ACT-MAGs to be fully reliable. Would love to see them make a 10mm version.
GBIA, I just pulled a photo out of my "line up", I'll add one with the detent too!

Reactions: azmercedes

·
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the early 90’s, we had problems with the 7 rnd blue P220 magazines with the spot welds on the seem popping loose. I can’t remember if it was the zipper or dovetail style. We eventually replaced them with the 8 rnd ss ones.

·
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the early 90’s, we had problems with the 7 rnd blue P220 magazines with the spot welds on the seem popping loose. I can’t remember if it was the zipper or dovetail style. We eventually replaced them with the 8 rnd ss ones.
I had a "dovetail" back P220 magazine do that to me, at the top spot weld, in the early '90s. At the time, I found 7 round Mec-Gar magazines which I started using. I can't remember exactly when the 8 round versions came out, but I believe prior to '94, since they weren't affected by the "Ban"!

·
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Padded Floorplates - P226

Early on, Sig Sauer provided padded floorplates, for their P226 Magazines. Unsure of who manufactured them, but below are the 2 examples of what I have.

The type on the left, I've had since the mid-'90s prior to Mec-Gar producing magazines for Sig, the type on the right, are fairly recent, within the past 5 years. They appear identical to what Mec-Gar offers commercially through vendors such as Greg Cote.

Both Midwest Gun Works, and Top Gun Supply list them, again possibly using "stock" photos, both identify as being Sig parts. each looking like both examples...

https://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-rubber-magazine-base-plate-p226.html

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/226PFS

Fairly recently, I became aware of these offered by Osage County Guns, and made by IMI Industries. They were "closeouts", so have no idea of how long they have been around.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts