SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
First, determine which version of the MSH/sear spring you have. Remove your left grip panel and compare to this pic:

If you have the old style hardware then compare to this pic for signs of wear:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Part Numbers & Nomenclature

Here is a table of the MSH and sear spring versions; Gen 1 and Gen 2 part numbers and nomenclature.

There are gaps in the info that I have (highlighted in yellow); if anyone has a sales order or packaging for those items and could post the part number, I'll update the table.

There are two G10 MSH versions that haven't been released for retail sale (highlighted in orange). If anyone is successful placing and order for them, please post that and I'll update the table.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I have the old one, does Sig recognize that there is an issue with them and do anything about it? I guess I need to search the threads.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Is Sig now replacing them? I spoke with them early in the summer, they offered to replace the MSH but said it would be the same part that was in it. I told them I'd wait till they had a real fix for the issue....Has that time arrived?

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is Sig now replacing them? I spoke with them early in the summer, they offered to replace the MSH but said it would be the same part that was in it. I told them I'd wait till they had a real fix for the issue....Has that time arrived?
I believe that the time has come. Since July, several members have sent their 938s in for warranty repair and had them returned with the Gen 2 spring and MSH installed. Several members have also reported taking delivery of new 938s with July 2015 production dates or later with the Gen 2 hardware installed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sig hasn't actually issued a recall on the old MSH have they? I looked at my P238 last night and discovered the "old style" MSH. It didn't appear to show any burr developing but did have a little more spacing toward the top side of the hole. I haven't called Sig {yet} - is there any reason to do so especially if they haven't issued an official recall and the wear doesn't appear to be excessive. Probably wouldn't hurt to give them a call, eh?

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not believe that SIG intends to issue a recall. I was told that the new hardware would be fielded as a warranty claim. My advice is to make a call and ask for a replacement.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Just printed the shipping label, making it a two-fer by sending it with my P716 that is having ejection issues, hope they can get it ALL right!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone received a replacement in G10 yet? Or better yet does anyone know if there's been any failures of the G10 housing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone received a replacement in G10 yet? Or better yet does anyone know if there's been any failures of the G10 housing?
Hello all...I'm new here and this is my first post. I just bought a P938 Extreme, with the G10 grips..Build date on the box was Aug 27 2015. According to the pics here, my gun has the new style spring with the larger hole. So it is available in the reptile G10.
This site is great, really glad I found it. This is my first Sig purchase, and it has been an amazing shooter so far. I read about extractors breaking and guide rods coming loose. My GR is very tight, I couldn't get it to turn. My grip screws had loctite from the factory. I removed my extractor and polished it slightly where it contacts the rim, basically removed the black coating, and polished it where it touches the slide. It has not skipped a beat, no FTF/FTE with any type ammo, 115, 124, 147...all shot great. both ball and HP. It does have the loose round in the mag issue, but my G19 (that I traded in to but my 938 :D ) did this also, just not as bad. I'll deal with that if it becomes an issue.
I'll keep looking around the site and learning from the group, lots of good reading so far.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Hmmm. I wonder if Sig does much testing on their designs before they go into production. Have a P238 from 2014 with the old design, guess I will give Sig CS a call...again. Good thing I have the number on speed dial.

·
Registered
239 Posts
PCHS4, if you make contact with them, would you please post the results of that exchange? I have an old style P238 I've be meaning to check with them too and just haven't had the chance to do it yet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Took delivery of new 938-EQ last month with a build date of 6-28-15. After only ~150 rds of 115gr I became aware of the sear spring migrating upward and MSH detent post wear (thanks to ThnkFrst). Called Sig CS this AM and explained the situation. Gave rep the serial number, he asked if there were any failures, I said not yet, and without any hesitation he asked for my addresses. He said it would be best to send the pistol in so they can give it a thorough going over, and I'll have it back in less than 2 weeks. I had the shipping label/RMA within 5 minutes.
Bottom line: because of this fine site and helpful members I learned of a potential failure in a new carry gun and am having it repaired before a problem can develop. IMO, these weapons were not designed to be target pistols and failure could have dire consequences. There should be a recall issued since Sig is obviously aware of the problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
silverdollaral,
I think it's good that you are sending your pistol in. My P938 has the Gen1 MSH/SS and I can tell you that I have zero wear on my detent post. I MEAN ZERO and I've put 500 rounds through this gun in under a month. I feel that their is definitely more going on than the crappy MSH design (which the Gen1 was a bad design period) or else it would happen in everyone's guns. Not just some here and there. I'd say that it is a culmination of issues that cause that problem. All that being said, I still like to err on the side of caution and go for the new better design. I called Sig, and like you, they were very nice to me. I told them I was having no issues or wear but wanted the new part since it was an improvement and they mailed it out to me. I should have it today when I get home from work. Better safe than sorry. The new design is much more stout and well thought out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
silverdollaral,
I think it's good that you are sending your pistol in. My P938 has the Gen1 MSH/SS and I can tell you that I have zero wear on my detent post. I MEAN ZERO and I've put 500 rounds through this gun in under a month. I feel that their is definitely more going on than the crappy MSH design (which the Gen1 was a bad design period) or else it would happen in everyone's guns. Not just some here and there. I'd say that it is a culmination of issues that cause that problem. All that being said, I still like to err on the side of caution and go for the new better design. I called Sig, and like you, they were very nice to me. I told them I was having no issues or wear but wanted the new part since it was an improvement and they mailed it out to me. I should have it today when I get home from work. Better safe than sorry. The new design is much more stout and well thought out.
Zero wear after 500 rounds is a very interesting bit of info Genin. Good to hear they treated you right.
Though I'm not yet entirely familiar with the operation of all parts involved, 45 years as a model maker taught me that the proper material, and heat treating when called for, makes a huge difference in part life from one batch to another. In today's climate of hurry up and cut cost, the inspection and testing process is key. Especially in products that could be called on to save lives.

·
Registered
239 Posts
So far, that's been my experience too (on my P238). I've shot just over 500 rounds through it and visually inspected the wear; I see no indications of wear on the hole or the post. I noted the post tends to reside just slightly towards the bottom side of the hole (but nothing excessive or what would appear out of the ordinary). However I will probably still make the call in order to have the latest design.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Question. My P938 has been back to Sig already for service due to FTE issues. They did some ramp polishing and replaced the guide rod as the old one would loosen up. I haven't had any issues after this fix. Recently, I noticed that the trigger pull seems excessive, perhaps more than the 8.5lb spec. Is there any relationship to the MSH housing/sear spring issue to the trigger pull? Yes, I did inspect per the pictures and I clearly see the burr/gap forming. Since this is my EDC gun, I'm getting concerned with it's reliability.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts