SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sig Academy Marksmanship class confirmed combat hold on all Sig pistols. Cover spot on target with front sight where you want bullet to impact. We did drill with two shooters during class, first shooter put shot anywhere on target. Second shooter had three chances to put round on paper touching or through first shooters point of impact. Instructor kept saying, cover hole made by shooter one entirely with your front sight and squeeze.

Combat sight image for the win.
When I do that with my 365 it shoots low. But this is at a distance at 7 to 10 ft not at their standard 10 yards

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
17,715 Posts
When I do that with my 365 it shoots low. But this is at a distance at 7 to 10 ft not at their standard 10 yards

Virtually all handguns and rifles are going to shoot low at that distance.

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Aim.
Higher.

Or you can change your sights to allow you to shoot that short distance.

Bullets start falling the moment they leave the barrel. Sights are set to aim the barrel to compensate for the fall, by aiming it higher to create an arc in the path of the bullet to impact the target at a given distance.

At 7 - 10 feet, your bullet is still low in the arc when you're sights are set to impact at 10 yards.

Having given you that information, help me understand why you are concerned at impacts at 7-10 feet?

If you're shooting at any hard surface/target at that distance - it's unsafe.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

Gun barrels are pointed up in comparison to the sights, otherwise the bullet would never reach the sight point, partially due to the bullet drop and partially due to the fact that the sights are above the barrel. There are two points where the bullet intersects the line of sight, the first one it crosses on the way up and the second the way down. Without looking at a ballistic chart at 7-10ft I would guess it's on it's way up or very close to sight line if not less than the sight to bore distance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I appreciate the information. I just went through this issue with the Gen 5 Glocks until I realized they are now set up to have the shooter cover the POA with the front sight. Former Gen Glock's were set up to put the POA on top of the front sight. I had real issues with the suppressor height sights on my RX slide until I realized the Sig was set up the same way as the Gen 5 Glock. Still shoots a bit low but acceptable as BUIS's. My X5 Legion is spot on covering the POA with the front sight but because the front sight is so small placing the POA on top of the front sight doesn't make much difference until you get out to 15-25 yards.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I vote "Stickie".

I've shot Sigs low before; but they didn't. Between Willard and my Sig CSR; I was able to dial them all in in half a day, and so far; have kept it that way.
Same here...

I never had the problem with my first Sig, a 229 .40, almost 25 years ago (always dead on), but did experience it early on with some subsequent Sigs. I've also had to slightly adjust my hold when I got my 239s (2), and 220 in .45. Both low until my brain and wrists adjusted to the different weight and size. All were fixed and quickly and now my brain (hand and wrists) have learned the adjustments, even when I bring different pistols to the range. No issues with my P6 or M11-A1. Those settled in quickly.

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
Same here...

I never had the problem with my first Sig, a 229 .40, almost 25 years ago (always dead on), but did experience it early on with some subsequent Sigs. I've also had to slightly adjust my hold when I got my 239s (2), and 220 in .45. Both low until my brain and wrists adjusted to the different weight and size. All were fixed and quickly and now my brain (hand and wrists) have learned the adjustments, even when I bring different pistols to the range. No issues with my P6 or M11-A1. Those settled in quickly.
I reiterate: I've shot SIG's low, but they didn't. Yeah; I had a slight issue with the 6/8 configurations that came on my 226's. 229's, and 239's (born as .40 caliber) in .357 Sig, but between Willard and my new SIG CSR; problem solved. For the record; this is from distances of 11' to 35 yards. Bear in mind: .357 Sig is a new round for me after 35 years of 9mm from a Beretta 92FS. I'm now confident in my abilities; whereas, I was ready to throw in the towel and revert to 9mm.

Willard is the sight God. Reach out to him, if he doesn't reach out to you first. He has great charts, and plentiful experience. Also; check the stickies.

HAG

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 1992 made P220 .45 hits POA at 25 yards, but my 1996 made P228 9mm hits 12 - 14 inches low at 25 yards.

I find for bulleye targets the "combat hold" completely covering the bullseye means I can't see what I am aiming at (a silhouette target would be a different story) which is why I rather do the half/half hold.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,788 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aim.

Higher.

Or you can change your sights to allow you to shoot that short distance.

Bullets start falling the moment they leave the barrel. Sights are set to aim the barrel to compensate for the fall, by aiming it higher to create an arc in the path of the bullet to impact the target at a given distance.

At 7 - 10 feet, your bullet is still low in the arc when you're sights are set to impact at 10 yards.

Having given you that information, help me understand why you are concerned at impacts at 7-10 feet?

If you're shooting at any hard surface/target at that distance - it's unsafe.
After my first session, I adjusted and then my grouping started to get smaller around 2 and 1/2 inch or so. The adjustment is taking the front sight and putting it about 4 and 1/2 inches above the bullseye.

During this time I proximately had about 250 rounds in the gun.

With the last two hundred or so, I ain't that the same height however now the bullets are going way below the bullseye. This is happened the last two sessions I've been at the range

·
Registered
631 Posts
If your Sig shoots low your Glock will most likely shoot low and your Springfield will most likely shoot low and your H&K will also most likely shoot low......when you shoot it.

I remember taking a class and telling my instructor my gun won't hit that target from here unless I aim 10 inches high. He took my gun and aimed 10 inches high......he hit 10" high.

He said your guns fine must be someone else.

RCG

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
If your Sig shoots low your Glock will most likely shoot low and your Springfield will most likely shoot low and your H&K will also most likely shoot low......when you shoot it.

I remember taking a class and telling my instructor my gun won't hit that target from here unless I aim 10 inches high. He took my gun and aimed 10 inches high......he hit 10" high.

He said your guns fine must be someone else.

RCG
Oh; so true.

The greatest "instructor" was following the advice of my SIG CSR, who suggested the SIG bench rest test. It took about 30-40 minutes to dial it in to shooting dead on bullseye. Once I achieved the proper sight window; I could do nearly the same in combat stance. It was a miraculous day!

Now; it's a matter of how quickly I can reacquire the sight window after sending a round down range. It's a works in progress, but practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
160 Posts
A data point:

My NIB M11-A1 in 9mm has a #6 Front Sight and a #8 Rear Sight.

I just picked up today and I have not fired it. I -thought- that it would be #8/#8, based on what I'd been seeing on this forum.

Obviously, without having fired it, I have no idea how POI/POA works with this particular firearm with this particular set of sights.

Just wanted to share an observation of how it came from the factory.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
A data point:

My NIB M11-A1 in 9mm has a #6 Front Sight and a #8 Rear Sight.

I just picked up today and I have not fired it. I -thought- that it would be #8/#8, based on what I'd been seeing on this forum.

Obviously, without having fired it, I have no idea how POI/POA works with this particular firearm with this particular set of sights.

Just wanted to share an observation of how it came from the factory.
The correct "hold" will still be the Combat Hold (see opening post). The difference between the #6 and a #8 front sight would be no more than an inch of elevation at 25 yards. Sig may have installed a #6 due to the depth of the sight groove.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Sight numbers can be any combo.
6/8 for 9mm is pretty common.
I've seen 229's and 226's with 8/6 as well.
I have an old 220 with 8/8 sights.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 1992 made P220 .45 hits POA at 25 yards, but my 1996 made P228 9mm hits 12 - 14 inches low at 25 yards.

I find for bulleye targets the "combat hold" completely covering the bullseye means I can't see what I am aiming at (a silhouette target would be a different story) which is why I rather do the half/half hold.
My friend has a lot of golf balls hanging on string at his range. Combat hold makes hitting a golf ball pretty tough, much like trying to hit the smaller steel discs.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
My friend has a lot of golf balls hanging on string at his range. Combat hold makes hitting a golf ball pretty tough, much like trying to hit the smaller steel discs.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Is your friend auditioning to be the villain in the next Ant-Man movie?

Seriously though Sig makes target pistols that are designed for target shooting and use a different sight picture. I feel like the above complaint is similar to "my F350 got whooped at the local drag races". Your F350 wasn't designed to rule the drag strip. Sig duty style pistols are expected to produce 2 inch groups at 10 yards. A golf ball only has a 1.68" diameter.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sorry but this popped into my head when I read the title.

Does your Sig shoot low

Does it wobble to and fro

Can you tie it in a knot

Can you tie it in a bow

Can you throw it over your shoulder like a continental soldier

Does your Sig shoot low?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Sigtalk.
Bollocks!

21 - 40 of 103 Posts